Friday, June 3, 2011

Life is never more than I can write about............

Francis Bacon wrote, "By far the best proof is experience." How do I get experience as a writer if I do not go out and live life? One gift of aging is I have acquired experience. I have developed a bit of character and self-respect. I have convictions, beliefs, knowledge and awareness. I am comfortable in my own skin and I prove it when I click publish. With each experience I write and share with readers I gain trust in myself and skills.

My writing has never let me down; only I let me down when I write it is never the words. I have come to trust in what I write. I share parts of me that have been challenged and that have rejoiced in victory. Having this trust in my writing doesn’t mean I am prolific every day. I still wake up and have to have enough coffee to jolt my courage into waking up with me.

Since every day is about getting to the other side of my fear the best way to start the day is quiet so I can hear the pounding of my fear in my chest and head. It is in the silence I am forced to listen to my own voice. I use to always have background noise on so I couldn’t  hear my own voice. I was unhappy and didn't want to hear myself tell me just how unhappy I was.

I write about life-changing lessons. Some lessons I have had to repeat; in fact, if I am honest all life-changing lessons I have had to repeat. I didn't realize it though until I started writing them. As I write the feelings and experiences of my life into my characters I view my life as one filled with challenges and opportunities. My life is never more than I can write about. Wendell Berry said, "The world cannot be discovered by a journey of miles . . . only by a spiritual journey . . . by which we arrive at the ground at our feet, and learn to be at home."

The circumstance of my fear is enveloped in the help and guidance I need to be a writer who writes. I find comfort when I write. I am ill-at-ease, irritable and discontented when I am not writing. Today I write so I have found a way to break through my fear. My own writing experience has taught me that the more I write the less my fear owns me. Today no one or nothing owns me. I am free to write, to click publish, to be the writer I was always meant to be and to live the life I was always meant to live.  

2 comments:

  1. I'm on LinkedIn. I saw your post on book promotion, so I decided to check your website out. I had no idea a blog could be so awesome looking. I've suddenly developed a complex! Regards, Rasana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rasana--I am learning as I go like a lot of people--I am pulling together an inspirational book for writers from my blog. Life is good :) I choose Google b/c I liked the designs better. Tammy

    ReplyDelete