Saturday, January 29, 2011

Day Twenty-One

Good Morning!! Out of the house until 11:30ish and then it is time to settle in on earning a living for the rest of the day.

William Blake wrote "A truth that's told with bad intent beats all the lies you can invent."

And so it is that after searching for hours last night for two pieces of paper that I considered the cornerstones of this "book" I went to bed feeling alone, like I had failed once again. But as sleep almost always does it changed how I looked at not finding what I wanted of the past. Why do I want to go back and visit the past and write about something that will keep me thinking of the problem instead of writing about how living in the solutions is the only way to live?

The title of this blog is really what I want to write about. I want to write about what it is like to have a passion and a desire to write and not be organized in your soul enough to do it. Writing is an expression of your soul; you either are a writer or you are not. There is no grey. Either you have something to say or you do not. We’ll see if I have something to say in the days, weeks and months ahead.

So that is what I am going to do. I have no wisdom about stuff and other people that pertains to anything other than what my life is like on a daily bases. I can only write about me and my struggle to write a book--that is the only struggle I can find a solution for maybe or maybe not. I won't know until I try.

The William Blake quote was attached to this little bit of writing:

"The quality of our relationships with others depends heavily on our motives. If we're trying to change our friends, to correct their behaviors or to improve their lives, we'll ensure a poor quality of friendship. The only life we have power over is our own. Trying to fix other people isn't only futile, it’s disrespectful. Chronic fixers are likely to attract people who seem to cry out for their services. Over time, the situation usually proves to be a set-up for frustration and anger. Self-respect begins inside ourselves. Real consideration for others demands that we treat them with the same respect we'd like to receive. There is no such thing as my telling someone something "for their own good."

In order to attract a different type of person I have to become a different type of person. I can only become the opposite of what isn't working for me by doing the opposite of what I always do.

This blog began because someone else inspired me, but it must continue because I inspire myself. People will always disappoint me and let me down; people are imperfectly human. What is important is what I do with the disappointment. I can do what I have always done or I can try something different.

Trying something different has been making my life more and more uncomfortable, but at the same time my life is getting better. So this blog is turning into the book I was meant to write which is how I have come to write in spite of all the painful distractions I put before my writing. Can it be that simple? It was for Anne Lamott when she wrote Bird by Bird.

I say that I am a person who lives a life of why not me instead of why me. The level of my success is hinged on me walking my talk. That my writing friends is the difference between being the problem and being in the solution.

Being a part of the solution requires doing the opposite of what is in my nature to do--fail before I even start. I know how to fail, but I haven't figured out yet how to succeed. I thought I had a teacher and a muse, but the answer has to come from the teacher and muse who reside within me.......

Enjoy your day fellow writers……be prolific….spring is around the corner and with it brings new life……let’s go write…………….

No comments:

Post a Comment