Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Writer's write.......

William L. O'Neill wrote, "All great reforms require one to dare a lot to win a little." There is no second chance, no guarantee in life. Life is simply a series of moments; what we do with those moments defines our value as people in this life. Writer's write what they want, use their best energies to write an outcome they can live with and all this living is done without a guarantee of ever getting what they started out wanting, an audience.

Some of the happiest times in this writer's life have been at the beginning of a project. At the moment of committing, of completely devoting, of embracing the feelings of an experience whatever they may be. I am the happiest in my writing life when I concede to the courageous event of committing with absolute belief I can produce, I can write, I can bring to life the person I was meant to be. When I can write me on paper and accept the idea of me, the dream of me I write is not the me who sits down at the laptop to write I am my happiest. No one is as we dream ourselves to be.

What if my efforts are limited? What if I fail? What if the outcome isn't all I want it to be? What if I never put a word on paper? “What if” never makes me feel alive. “What if” never makes me happy. In order to write as my gift to write demands I must let go of the outcome of what will happen to my writing. I must always write for me and no one else. My cause must be to gain a deeper relationship with self through my writing. Writing my life experience is the final stage of accepting my life as just that, my life no one else’s.

Writing is a process of self-discovery. The joy is in the process, the struggle; the quicker I embrace the struggle the quicker I begin to embrace me as the writer of my own life. In order to be me I must let go of the outcome of me. The more I let go and write the more my life falls into place.

Living life is risky business. If living was easy there wouldn't be an escalation of illnesses brought on by stress, there wouldn't be addiction, there wouldn't be abandonment, there wouldn't be struggle. But life isn't easy. Living life is hard; writing life is even harder. The value of my achievement today as a writer is in my dedication to write the feelings that own me. The more revealing I am of my feelings during an experience the more liberated as a writer and person I become.

Arthur Miller, brilliant playwright that he is wrote, “The best work that anybody ever writes is the work that is on the verge of embarrassing him, always.” The most compelling topics for me to write about are the feelings that bring me to my knees, the feelings others find mortifying to share, the feelings that challenge me, that make readers quiver with identification.

I am a wealth of rich material just waiting to be tapped. When I am looking outside myself for material to write I am taking the easier way. I am cheating myself and my reader. I am being a coward. To risk sharing how I feel is to share the poignancy of my being. My honest authentic self is what I must always write. I must seek courage not cowardice in everything I think, everything I do and in everything I write. I must always write this writer’s life.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment