Friday, February 18, 2011

Writing with tolerance......

The more I stick to my commitment to write on a daily basis the more tolerant I become of myself and the feelings I have of not wanting to write. When I think about writing I think of quietness, solitude, jumbled voices and the clicking of keys on my laptop. I try not to think of the words that may or not come to mind.

In order to tolerate myself and my thoughts I must learn what my limitations are. By learning my limitations I can recognize when I need to go the extra mile to turn a limitation into strength. I have a friend who says “that eventually my defects become my assets.”

I have found that as a writer it is easier to accept other people's limitations more so than my own. In order to tolerate myself I must acknowledge first that I have limitations and second that if I am willing I can learn how to overcome them.

For this writer the first thing that must always change is the way in which I think about a situation. It is easy for my thinking to become distorted because I spend so much time alone as a writer. It is only through talking with other people that I am able to see a situation for what it is. By talking to people it also allows me to see a person for who they are, what they are capable of and what they are not. From this knowledge of self and of others I learn tolerance.

When my thinking is distorted my behavior becomes inconsistent. The first inconsistency is that I don't want to write today. Since writing for the day is based on my feelings at the moment I sit down at the laptop my success is hinged to the accuracy of my self-perceptions and my perceptions of others. If I am unable to accurately look at my limitations then how can I trust my perceptions of other people’s limitations?

Writing is not writing what other people think, feel or do. Writing is about writing what I think, feel and do or wish I had done. When I was saying I was a writer and not writing I was justifying my intolerance of myself. As I develop this writing habit I cannot afford to justify my own intolerance. I must come to accept that the time I lost not writing wasn’t wasted. The time I spent focusing on other people's success rather than my own has not been a waste of my life. In actuality it has given me something to write about in this blog.

The point of this blog is to create a fellowship of like-minded writers who struggle to be dedicated to the habit of writing on a daily basis. Writing is a lonely job and far too often people don't understand and respect the need for quiet time in order to create.

The more I sit down to write and begin typing the better I feel about myself. My self-worth as a writer is linked more to my discipline to keep my commitment to write than the amount of pages I actually do write. Each time I sit down at the laptop I renew my commitment to write every day.

Abraham Maslow wrote, "If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail." I can choose what attitude I am going to have today. I can have a negative attitude where I hammer every situation until it breaks into a thousand pieces. Or I can tolerate my limitations and turn them into assets that bring me to a state of mind where I can actually sit still and write for a few hours.

The meaning of tolerance is the ability to let a person have their own experience. How hard is that for a writer who creates experiences for others on a daily basis? As I write a character, a scene, a setting or a plot I am writing the experience of the reader and the character alike. I must always remember to not have a "now or never" attitude. I must be open to where the character leads me in my own story.

As a writer I must always think in terms of how I can make the text richer and more varied so I can develop a hook for the reader. When I write of a situation as if it were a nail and I the hammer then my characters are flat and so is my story.

Writing is about giving up control of the outcome. As I write a character I am only a sounding board in which the character uses to self-create or self-destruct. I must accept whatever path my character chooses to take. Even in writing a story I only struggle when I hold too tightly onto what I believe is the ending. When I let go and let the story find its own way then the story seems to be grand and beautifully designed.

The writers I most admire are those who in their personal lives were able to let go of what they thought the outcome of their life should be. I am at my best as a writer and a person when I am tolerant of myself and others. I am at my best as a writer and a person when I let the outcome of every situation be whatever it is going to be..........

No comments:

Post a Comment